History related to Holguin City
Holguin City was founded in 1523 in the lands donated in Cuba by Diego Velázquez to the captain Francisco Garcia Holguin and here a village was settled down with the Indians that wandered for the surroundings, which it is necessary to add the one of the Indian district of Maniabón. But the captain was reserved for his residence the one that was designated with his maternal last name, putting it dedicated to San Isidoro.
Our Captain Francisco Garcia Holguin married in 1537 and he establishes his home in the north of his jurisdiction, transforming the place into head of his patrimony, calling it Holguin (whose meaning, by the way, it was in ancient language: wizard or enchanting).
Although Francisco Garcia Holguin gave his name to the place in 1545, it was not until the 1600 that the Town Council of Bayamo ordered that its delimitation was constituted. For this task it was named the public surveyor, D. Joaquín de Vidaburú, who established the boundaries like it’s mention next:
"From the hill of La Concordia in the north coast, toward the east to the river of Lirios, from here to the birth of the river of Tranquera in the savanna Biajacas, continuing until the puddle of Guayabal, bordering to the west, going by the hill of Batiquirí and continuing for the mountain range until Saos de Tomí. From there to the hill of Breñosa and from there to the hill of La Concordia." This demarcation was ratified in 1769.
At the same time it was being formed another population's nucleus in the herd of Las Guásimas, distant about 20 kilometers of the previous one and property of the captain Francisco Garcia Holguin's a granddaughter. As this town grew more than the previous one, the neighbors got in 1700 that moves to this place the temple. But it had the same luck that all its previous ones. Because of reasons of the land or others causes, the neighbors decided to move to the herd of Holguin, distant about twelve kilometers of the previous one and property of the other captain Francisco Garcia Holguin's granddaughter.
It was in that place that had definitive place Holguin City and the church that it ended April 3 of 1720, under the dedication to San Isidoro, and it was built at his expense, assistant director D. Diego de Ávila y de la Torre, this temple that you that was rebuilt with brick and tile in 1730 and finished with its definitive characteristics in 1800.
To this place came to meet the families that resided in Managuaco and Guásimas. In 1726 it already had 60 houses and it was declared head of the jurisdiction, segregated consequently, to that of Bayamo, to that it belonged in its beginnings. The same one survived up to 1815.
The active spirit and enthusiast of Holguin City made that rose in 1731 the request for the creation of its City Council, grace that was not granted it up to twenty years later for Royal Letters Patent of February 19 of 1757, for the Governor D. Alonso de Arcos y Moreno, at the same time that it was declared like City.
The coat of arms (Shield of The City) was authorized in 1831, 80 years after having been constituted the City Council and requested by the municipal town council. All those anniversaries of the civil development of Holguin City took care at the same time for its economic and urban development in all the fields.
In Holguin City other churches were built, the jail, the barracks, the hospital of San Juan de Dios, the military hospital, slaughterhouse, squares, a public park, a art gallery, a theater and a society of recess called Philharmonic Society, this title in harmony with the moral Hispanic atmosphere of the time of the "morion" and of the first liberal ingenuousness of confused and paradoxical times of Fernando VII.
The rhythm of the human population's growth in Holguin has been: year 1827, 8624 inhabitants, included those of rural several villages of the district; 4199 in 1841; 3065 in 1846; 3754 in 1852; 3476 in 1857; 4954 in 1862 and 855 housings, of those which 281 of masonry, 424 made of wood and 150 covers with mud and tiles.
Holguin City achieved to be one of the most outstanding cities of Cuba for its commercial and industrial activity that increase the communications of all order that converged and diverged of the city. It possessed magnificent buildings, parks, theaters, hotels...